BIO-based products from FORestry via Economically Viable European Routes (BIOFOREVER).
Zooming in from the main objective, several steps have to be taken:
- Select the optimal feedstock for the several value chains. Although several wood types are currently targeted also other lignocellulosic feedstock will be assessed.
- Establish competitive set-ups for a biorefinery process based on 4 different pre-treatment technologies including down-stream processing for production of intermediates such as cellulose, C5/C6 sugars, lignin and humins.
- Establish conversion routes from the intermediates to 6 bio-based building blocks or end-products such as carbon binders, butanol, resin acid, enzymes and furan dicarboxylic acid (FDCA).
- Demonstrate 5 lignocellulosic (LC) value chains at pre-industrial scale for selected final products. Besides, 3 new valorization routes for co-products utilizing 4 different cascading biorefinery concepts will be included.
- Evaluate the techno-economic performance of the value chains for scaling-up towards commercial plants.
- Demonstrate opportunities for commercial scale follow-up, including analysis of markets and engagement with key stakeholders.
The following impact of the BIOFOREVER project is foreseen:
- Direct replication potential for 4 or more biorefineries, typically in a commercial scale follow-up project.
- Job creation in the agricultural / forestry sector by sourcing European biomass.
- Creation of bio-refinery technologies as export project outside the EU.
- Positioning of European ports for the transition to renewables driven business.
- Low carbon and sustainable end-products.